Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Vegan Palak Paneer (The I Came Home Late From Work and Want Food Fast Version)

Even though I try my hardest to make food using fresh veggies and make something interesting, there are those nights when I get home from work either too tired or too late to be bothered with trying to wrap my brain around anything too complicated. Last night was one of those nights.

Since I still had a half block of tofu left over from making pasta the night before, I decided to make a bit of a vegan version of palak paneer. It's sort of the ghetto vegan version, let's be honest. I love Indian food with a passion, so my convenience foods are typically cans or packages of Indian food of the just-heat-it-up variety. Yummy and fast. I especially love the Jyoti Madras Sambar and Delhi Saag.




I just so happened to have a can of the Delhi Saag (mustard greens, spinach, ginger, lemon juice and spices) in my pantry yesterday. Armed with a can of that, some leftover tofu and some Indian basmati rice, a meal was born.

DSC03339

Ghetto Vegan Palak Paneer

Make Rice. Open Can of Delhi Saag. Add Delhi Saag to medium saucepan. Squish up tofu and add it to the pan. Heat for 15 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Add food to plate. Eat. Enjoy. Marvel at the fast and easy dinner you've just made. Now relax, you've had a hard day.

Granted, I was being extra lazy and just squished up the tofu instead of cutting into cute little cubes like I probably should have. That would have meant that I had to wash the cutting board and knife and last night was not a night when I wanted to be bothered. Besides - I kinda like squishing tofu. I didn't disintegrate it like for the pasta, I just sorta broke it off into little pieces with my hands instead of cutting it.

I'll make a proper version of this recipe in the near future, but this will do in a pinch. If you aren't lucky enough to have such cool stuff at your market, you can always cook up some spinach and add some Indian spices to it and then add the tofu.

Coming in the very near future: Vegan Southern Comfort Yummies

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget "Potato Thing" for those very nights as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that stuff. I eat it all the time.

    ReplyDelete