Sunday, August 17, 2008

Spaghetti & Beanballs

beanballs_003

Yes, more from Veganomicon. Isa and Terry have brainwashed me, I think. It's the most delicious brainwashing ever, though, so I don't really mind I must say. I have been wanting to try making the Spaghetti and Beanballs recipe for ages. I'm not sure why it took me so long to do it. The recipe makes a ton of these cute little things, so really I think I could get away with either only making half next time or freezing half since it's just me that I'm cooking for.

If you're not familiar with this recipe, it's basiscally like a meatball, but made with mashed up kidney beans instead of meat.

beanballs_002

See... I had fun mashing up the beans. It's a good way to get out some agression, that's for sure. So you add a bunch of other stuff to the beans like bread crumbs and wheat gluten and herbs and such and you form them into these cute little balls.

beanballs_001

There is an option to either fry them or bake them. I remember reading some threads on the PPK forums and some blog postings about these. Most people seemed to prefer the frying pan method of cooking, so I decided to go with that.

beanballs_004

These suckers will absorb insane amounts of oil, so be careful how much you're putting in the pan and definitely use olive oil and not some other not as good for you oil. They also sorta start falling apart about halfway through cooking. I managed to keep a few of them whole, but I had to be really careful about it. To be honest, I actually prefered the smaller broken up pieces because then I had more crispy bits when I put it on top of my spaghetti.

beanballs_006

This is definitely yummy and definitely something I'll make again. It was quick and easy, too. If you have kids, I'll betcha they'd had fun helping you mix the stuff together and forming the little balls. It's always fun to play with your food just a little bit. :)

19 comments:

  1. Mmmm... those beanballs look delish!

    I've been wondering how they'd turn out, & after reading your post I'm pretty sure I'll be making the V-Con recipe this week!

    Thanks for the yummy pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. here is yet another reason why i need a v-con....

    i have been on a slight ball kick and not the perverted kind or the kind to make your brother cry....

    looks awesome....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had forgotten about that recipe! I have kidney beans, so I may just have to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good. I'll have to go try it now...I've been way too caught up with My Sweet Vegan that I forgot about my Veganomicon book. Tisk tisk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I found your blog! Your beanballs look really good; that's yet another recipe from Veganomicon that I have to try a.s.a.p.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice beanballs. I've been buying veggie "meatballs" for spaghetti, but homemade beanballs sound like an even better idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love V-con! I haven't made these yet, but I definitely will - it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG -- they look so delicious!! Will definitely be making them for my family!! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Beanballs look fabulous! Mine were bean mush when I made them. Delicious bean mush, yes--but they were nowhere near balls. I am envious of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those kidney bean balls look yummy - we love any kind of balls with our pasta and as my gluten flour seems to have gone awf, these will make a great substitution!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The last time I was in the bookstore to get a veg cookbook I passed on this for vegan planet. I'll definitely be picking this book up next time! Spaghetti and bean balls sounds so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had spagetti and meatballs when I was an omni - so I've never really understood but... these do look good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made the beanballs for a dinner party and they turned out great :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm everything looks sooo good! Playing with your food is always fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been wondering how they'd turn out, & after reading your post I'm pretty sure I'll be making the V-Con recipe this week!


    kobe beef burger

    ReplyDelete